We recommend purchasing new packing supplies for your moving company or other reliable source. Some items such as wardrobes and blankets may be rented and returned. If you choose to use your boxes, check to make sure they are clean and strong enough to do the job. Don’t use old newspapers to wrap anything that may absorb ink.
*Be sure to keep out supplies for writing and keeping track of phone calls, inventory and any other vital records.
GENERAL GOOD HABITS
- Pack one room at a time.
- Pack a couple of cartons a day.
- Mark all cartons with room and box number. Enter this information on your log. When all boxes are packed enter total number of boxes.
- Be sure that the box size is appropriate to the weight of the items. The heavier the item, the smaller the box should be, (i.e. books would go into a smaller box than towels).
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of a larger box, lighter items on top. Try not to exceed 50 pounds per box.
- Use crumpled paper in between layers of breakable items.
*Mark all boxes with breakables as FRAGILE.
- Line bottom of medium size boxes with crumpled paper.
- Wrap and stack individual pieces. Do not skimp on the paper. Paper absorbs vibrations and lessens breakage.
- Packing Glassware/Cups, purchase boxes specifically used for packing glassware
- Stuff glasses and stemware with paper and roll each glass with packing paper, tuck in, and stack upright. Do not stack glasses on their side.
- Paintings and artwork require special care. Do not use newsprint to wrap artwork. Use clean packing paper or tissue, and place on edge in cartons.
- All bureau drawers have to be empty to safe guard on damage and even the safety of the moving crew due to weight.
- Pack electronics in original cartons, if possible. Otherwise, wrap with blankets and place in padded or lined carton.
- Wrap cords and wiring separatelyb and label cords to facilitate hook-up in your new location.
- Computer manufacturers recommend parking your hard drive before moving your mother board (CPU).
- To pack lamps, remove bulbs, shades, harps and finials.
- Place tape across large mirrors to secure glass in case of breakage. Wrap and pack upright in carton.
- Plants and Animals cannot be transported in interstate moves- check with your miover if they have permits if they claim they can transport them.
*Do not pack flammable or combustible items. Changes in temperature can cause these items to leak or explode.